Fancy trying Umed’s Chicken Karahi or Kale and chickpea stir-fry, then read on 🙂
Chicken Karahi – 4 people.
What you will need:
- 4 chicken breasts
- A green and red pepper
- 3 red onions
- tin of plum tomatoes
- fresh ginger (large piece) and garlic (4 cloves) to make a paste
- bunch of fresh coriander
- rapeseed oil
- coriander seeds
- garam masala
- fenugreek (dried)
- chilli flakes
- black pepper
- The prep – make a ginger and garlic paste to use. Julienne the fresh ginger and dice 2 of the red onions.
- Chop the fresh coriander and chop the peppers.
- Chop the chicken breasts and marinade with some ginger and garlic paste, salt and turmeric. Add some fresh coriander and mix well so all the chicken is covered.
- In a pan, using rapeseed oil, fry a tsp of cumin, coriander seeds and the diced onions in a pan for at least 10 minutes until it reduces slightly.
- In a separate pan, fry the chicken in a little rapeseed oil.
- Add a spoonful of ginger and garlic paste and a tsp of turmeric to the onions.
- The add the plum tomatoes
- Now for the spices – a pinch of each of the following: coriander seeds, black pepper, garam masala, salt, chilli flakes and fenugreek.
- Once chicken is cooked, add it to the sauce.
- Next, add the remaining coriander, fresh ginger juliennes, peppers and red onion.
- Serve with some steamed basmati rice and enjoy 🙂
Kale and Chickpea stir-fry #Superfood made easy
What you will need:
- can of drained chickpeas
- 1/4 can of plum tomatoes, pulsed
- 1tsp chopped garlic
- 1/4 inch fresh ginger, juliennes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- red onion, caramelized (cook slowly over a low heat for at least 20 minutes)
- pinch of garam masala
- roughly torn Kale
Method – it is very quick!
- Fry garlic, cumin and ginger in rapeseed oil
- Add the carmalised onion and temper the spices
- Add plum tomatoes and mix well
- Season with salt and pinch of garam masala
- Add the washed, roughly torn kale leaves
- Finish by adding the chickpeas and heating through.
Check out Umed’s video here http://youtu.be/97HYahbDO2Y