Quick and easy recipe to try at home. Chana Masala is a mainstay of Indian family cooking. Chickpeas, are a great source of soluble protein and are cooked in a great many Indian dishes. Try it yourself at home.
Chef’s tip! The spice Turmeric is added to pulses as a natural digestive aid to the flatulence that can be caused 🙂 you have been warned!!
Bombay Pantry Chickpea Masala
2 Cans Chickpeas, (drained)
1 Large onion, diced
5 fresh tomatoes, diced
1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 tablespoon ground coriander
1/2teaspoon garam masala
- Preheat a deep saucepan, add tbsp of olive oil.
- Fry together the mustard seeds,cumin until they begin to brown;then add the onion fry until soft.
- Add chopped tomato and continue to cook until a stewy consistency.
- Add sugar, turmeric, garam masala, curry powder and coriander; stir till completely combined.
- Add coconut milk and mix in well;
- simmer to reduce (however do not let get too thick)
- Add chickpeas; keep stirring until they are hot, for 4 minutes approx.
- Remove from the heat allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve over rice with a little lime juice for an interesting twist!